Have you ever wanted to know the designers' secrets rules of placements? Ever wonder, "What is the correct placement of this______?" You can fill in the blanks with any scenario. It helps to know the guidelines. As a designer, there have been many times I have walked in a homeowner's home and notice the placement is wrong. Here are some guidelines to help you figure out the arrangements,
1. The perfect viewing height for art placements is 60" above the floor to the center of the art.
2. The perfect amount of space between wall art/mirror and top of the mantle is 7 inches.
3. The ideal height to hang your flat-screen TV is eye level when you're in viewing position. The perfect viewing position distance is 1 1/2 times the size of your flat-screen TV.
4. A bed should be 23" off the floor no higher.
5. A bench at the foot of the bed should be no less than 2" shorter than the mattress width.
6. Keep a minimum of 15" between the coffee table and sofa.
7. Don't use end tables lower than 30". The lamps will be positioned much better, and the proportion is better.
8. There should be a minimum of 36" of space around your dining table to allow better flow and use.
9. Light switches should be 36" above the floor and 1 1/2 to 2 " off the side. This way, they are out of the way of your door casing.
10. The optimal height for your coffee table is 18" to 20."
These are just guidelines. As you may know, many of them have been broken like the art over the mantle. Now they lean the artwork right on the mantle. And the bench at the foot of the bed, I have seen two ottomans that work nicely.
The rules are there to guide you. Some may be broken, others like the light switch placement, and dining room table placement is good to know. Use your eyes as your best source of judgment.